TECHNICAL ADVISOR CIVIPOL
- PROJECT PRESENTATION
Regional Operational Centre in Khartoum (ROCK) in support of the Khartoum Process, the African Union Horn of Africa Initiative and the Eastern Africa Police Chiefs Cooperation Organisation (EAPCCO) – phase II » is a regional project to fight criminal networks involved in human trafficking and smuggling, financed by European Union.
The phase I of the project has allowed to set up a police information exchange platform, the regional centre “ROCK” in Khartoum, which brings together liaison officers (LOs) from 10 participating countries of the Greater Horn of Africa - Djibouti, Egypt, Ethiopia, Kenya, DRC, Somalia, South-Sudan, Sudan, Uganda and Tchad. The ROCK has shown to be an innovative response to the pillar on the prevention of and fight against irregular migration, migrant smuggling and trafficking in human beings of the Joint Valletta Action Plan (JVAP): Its LOs are an effective way to complement traditional information sharing agreements and to encourage international collaboration and synergies to fight criminal organisations.
Since the ROCK started to operate in autumn 2019, it has produced more than 480 intelligence reports, which are shared not only among participating countries but globally via INTERPOL’s i24/7 system.
These intelligence reports have led to significant operational results by the participating countries, freeing victims of extortion, torture, detention for ransom, sexual violence and exploitation, forced labour and domestic servitude.
The ROCK works and delivers operational results, that is why a second phase of the ROCK project was launched directly after phase I on 1 may 2022, which will allow to consolidate and preserve the achievements, but also to strengthen the criminal justice chain against suspected traffickers and smugglers, and to organize the transition of the ROCK to the African partners.
The Technical Advisor is Senior law enforcement officer with credentials in international cooperation and experience in the region.
She/he Participates in the implementation of the project in the field by providing guidance and quality assurance during the inception phase and throughout the delivery of the project ; Ensures the further recruitment of local staff, supervises the work of the experts, reports to the project manager at CIVIPOL headquarters ; Follows up relations with local authorities at national and regional level, as well as with the donor under the prior supervision of CIVIPOL ; Represents ROCK in regional/international events. Prepares semi-annual and annual reports.
He/She will have to perform the following main tasks:
- Train and supervise liaison officers appointed by the countries of the region to ensure that they are able to fulfil their mission ; Monitor the Liaison Officers on a daily basis
- The project focuses on learning by doing: advising liaison officers in the performance of their duties and ensuring the quality of reports and analyses.
- Participate in the smooth running of the cooperation centre
- Participate in the Design of a training curriculum for liaison officers working in the centre, which will cover a wide range of topics, such as human rights, investigations or secure communication.
- Contribute to the design of the centre's communication processes, procedures and protocols, in partnership with the Technical Director.
- Drafting of terms of reference for non-key / short-term expert missions and selection of relevant profiles
- Manage the logistics of short-term expert missions with the support of the local office team and in Paris and guide non-key experts who will be involved during the project.
- Contribute to the specifications for the equipment purchased as part of the project
- Contribute to the daily implementation of activities, under the supervision of the Technical Director
- Liaise with the Beneficiary institutions, i.e the law enforcement authorities involved in the project
- Writing reports in English, whether formal interim reports or ad hoc studies and analyses requested by the partners of the project, by providing dashboards
Location, Duration & working language
- Position based in Kenya and Khartoum to fill immediately with business trips in Horn of Africa and Europe
- Working language: English
- REQUIRED EXPERTISE
Professional Experience :
- Master Degree in a discipline related to law, economics, development or security – otherwise, at least 15 years of relevant professional experience
- At least 10 years of professional experience in the fight against human trafficking and smuggling
- At least 10 years of professional experience in law enforcement
- Experience in the running of a Police Customs Cooperation Centre
- Experience in the field of international cooperation, e.g. as Police Attaché in an Embassy
- Experience working in international teams
- Previous experience as trainer is a major asset
- Fluent in English (written, spoken, read)
- Knowledge of Arabic is an asset
- Experience in the Horn of Africa is an asset
- Computer literacy competence : Microsoft word, excel, power point
- Organization, rigor, flexibility and great autonomy
- Ability to work in teams and on multiple files in parallel
- Diplomacy and experience of institutional relations
- Priority and contingency management
- Have good writing and relationship skills
- Stress management
- Ability to work in difficult areas
Please send your CV and cover letter to Anne-Sophie Sandor ; Sandor.email@example.com